Bus 293 (Epsom – Ewell – North Cheam – Morden) runs along the north side of the park and stops near both gates (‘Ewell Park Way’ in the west, ‘Sparrow Farm Road’ in the east). Pedestrians can use these, as well as footpaths from Blue Gates, Beaufort Way, Ewell By-Pass and the corner of Castle and Castlemaine Avenues. The Mansion Gardens are frequented by Bullfinches and the odd Pied Wagtail. Photograph of the Stone Cross and Drinking Fountain taken (c.1930s) Nonsuch Park is jointly managed by the London Borough of Sutton & Epsom & Ewell Borough Council. Cheam Gate Lodge was demolished in 1938. The outbreak of the First Civil War in 1642 saw Royalist troops gathering in the lodges of the Great and Little Park and there was fighting in the area during the Second Civil War of 1648. The Little Park was about 671 acres and was to the east of modern day London Road, covering what is today the land between Ewell and Cheam (including of course, modern day Nonsuch Park). By this time, the Ewell Bypass had been completed to the west, which involved the destruction of the attractive Hatch Furlong area and utilised a portion of the field in which the Banqueting Hall stood. However the choice of location was unwise, as there was no nearby supply of water suitable for domestic use. This was purchased for public open space as part of the Green Belt around London and the park has been managed by a Joint Management Committee ever since. Nonsuch was built near Cheam on the site of a village called Cuddington which was completely levelled to make way for it. Between 1802 – 06 a Mansion House, with formal gardens and outhouses, was built at the Cheam end by the then current owner Samuel Farmer, MP for Huntingdon, which replaced an earlier structure. Other Wildlife, Flora and Fauna Its site lies in what is now Nonsuch Park on the boundaries of the borough of Epsom and Ewell in Surrey and the London Borough of Sutton. Within two months the name "Nonsuch" appears in the building accounts, its name a boast that there was no such palace elsewhere equal to it in magnificence. Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. A place I had lived, for many years - Brielle/Den Briel had been an English possession, given to Queen Elizabeth 1, under the Treaty of Nonsuch!! Nonsuch was afterwards settled upon Anne, Queen of James I. Mammals present in the park today include Grey Squirrels, Foxes, Weasels and Wood Mice. By 1627 the Great Park had become known as Worcester Park, and in 1731 was sold off for agricultural land. Francis Frith The UK’s leading publisher of local photographs since 1860. Nonsuch set out for Hudson Bay from Gravesend, England, on 3 June 1668. Nonsuch was named after the Palace that once stood in the park in the sixteenth century. Nonsuch High School, a girls' Grammar school in Cheam, Surrey UK, near the park; Nonsuch, a publishing imprint of The History Press; HMS Nonsuch - a fictional 74 gun ship of the line captained by William Bush in C.S. Train times can be found on National Rail’s Journey Planner. The early history, and the history of the inclosure, are summed up together in the story of Nonsuch Palace. Popular with joggers and cyclists, every Saturday at 09:00 sees the 5 km Nonsuch Parkrun. Early history. To the north can be found woodland and scrub containing a mixture of grassland, copses and a balancing pond (an artificial pond designed to store surface water run-off during peak flows and release it as required). Nonsuch Park, Epsom: See 287 reviews, articles, and 84 photos of Nonsuch Park, ranked No.1 on Tripadvisor among 18 attractions in Epsom. Nonsuch Park is located in between the villages of Ewell and Cheam. The core of the park was formed out of the manor of Cuddington, which the King had bought from Richard Codington, the last of a long line of landowners based there. © Copyright Ian Yarham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence. A childhood haunt of Botanist David Bellamy, the park is open from 7.30 a.m. until dusk, 365 days a year. Cross straight over a tarmac path, passing an info board which contains a detailed account of the history of Nonsuch Park and Palace. A retaining wall on the remains of the Banqueting Hall approximately 1m high was rebuilt using some original Tudor bricks as part of a conversion to an arboretum. In 2008, Surrey County Council, who own the freehold of much of the park, granted a lease of ownership jointly to Sutton and Epsom & Ewell Councils and a 5 year management plan established. Photo by Gill Sanders. Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum The palace was incomplete when Henry VIII died in 1547. Bus 470 (Epsom – Ewell – Cheam – Colliers Wood) passes the Cheam entrance at the south. The park can also boast species of reptile and amphibian, a diversity of snails and slugs, and butterflies, moths, dragonflies, crickets, grasshoppers, earwigs, bees, wasps and ants. We are very fortunate in that around 80 species of bird have been seen in the park in the last few years, Kestrels and Sparrow Hawks among them. [5] The palace was handed back to the Crown after the Restoration in 1660 and remained royal property until 1670, when Charles II gave it to his mistress, Barbara, Countess of Castlemaine. Little if anything of this park now survives on the ground. It is Grade II* listedby English Heritage. Pits and hearths containing Iron Age pottery, burnt flints and a spindlewhorl were found, though subsequent archaeological surveys in 1993–1995 revealed no traces of earthworks or surface finds. Immediately south of the Palace lay the small Privy Garden, screened by high walls, and to the west there were Grounds laid out in groves and orchards, extending to the Grove of Diana at the slope of the rising ground. West of the Avenue Luxurious and impeccable though it is, you will find that The Nonsuch Park Hotel has a refreshingly relaxed manner that is mirrored by the friendly courtesy of the staff. Post Run Coffee in the satellite view of the interactve map below. It was a base for the Home Guard, whilst Canadian soldiers camped in the grounds just before D-Day. To the west of The Avenue is the more ‘natural’ area, which can get very muddy in winter. Cross straight over a tarmac path, passing an info board which contains a detailed account of the history of Nonsuch Park and Palace. Every Thursday morning sees our intrepid band of workers arriving at the Service Wing armed with tool boxes, tool bags, power tools, etc. The Main Route is shown by a thick red line basically on the course of The Avenue and running between the two London Road gates. It is one of the old Tudor deer-hunting parks (though no deer are present today). The palace was incomplete when Henry VIII died in 1547. There are three dog-free areas. The finds were given to the Museum of London and the Palace’s position is now indicated by three stone obelisks on The Avenue. Official Opening Programme Henry VIII started building it in order to create the finest palace in the world – None Such that could be found anywhere. Here the aim has been to create a new area of woodland and managing the former arable fields for wild flowers including orchids; the eastern hill contains species of wild flowers that are uncommon in this area such as hawkweed oxtongue, common broomrape, blue fleabane and great lettuce. Cheam, Surrey. The palace was built around two courtyards and was about the size of a modern football pitch. By this time its boundaries were at their most extensive. A new footpath was constructed through here in 2010. After visiting Whitehall in Cheam a short drive away is Nonsuch Park. The former chalk pit, often referred to as ‘Devil’s Dyke’, is now home to the BMX bike community. Andreas D wrote a review Aug 2018. Nonsuch Palace was begun in 1538, completed by the Earl of Arundel and sold to Queen Elizabeth in 1592. About Us. Each of the two parks had its own Keeper – a largely honorary post, since the actual management of the landscape was handled by subordinates. King Henry VIII began to build Nonsuch Palace in 1538, choosing a site then occupied by the village and church of … During World War 2, public brick surface shelters were built along the north side near Sparrow Farm Road, and in common with other open spaces, obstacles were made from a mixture of trenches and scrap metal to deter potential troop-carrying gliders. The Great Park remained the property of Lord Lumley until he surrendered the lease to the queen in 1605. By this time the remains of the Palace had been levelled and ‘The Avenue’ built. In 1670 he gave it to his former mistress Barbara Villiers, Lady Castlemaine. The park is underwatched and has potential. Helpful. Its relaxing and has a lovely rose garden with plenty of seating.Lots of associated history and site of Henry VIII's palace it has a calm feel after a busy day out. Opposite the Mansion House is the former Nursery Lodge, which in 2013 was adapted to become The Little Oaks Forest Nursery School. The park is underwatched and has potential. Two carparks off the London Road, Ewell and a car park off Ewell Road in Cheam. The Friends of Nonsuch is committed to preserving Nonsuch Park's history and its physical features. Nonsuch Palace /ˈnʌnˌsʌtʃ/ was a Tudor royal palace, built by Henry VIII in Surrey, England; it stood from 1538 to 1682–83. Nonsuch came to Anne of Denmark as her jointure property as the consort of King James. Find the perfect nonsuch park cheam surrey stock photo. Nonsuch Park: Photos, maps, personal memories and local books of Nonsuch Park. In 1939-40 it was used for assembling gas masks, but in 1944 it was bombed and later demolished. Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum. HISTORY: Nonsuch Park was created by Henry VIII in 1534 when he destroyed the village of Cuddington in order to build a hunting box. Coal Tax Posts Building a school in the early 20th Century in a Park with royal connections caused controversy. We therefore ask that while enjoying the park’s amenities you take into account the needs of the wildlife. As the Royal Household took possession of vast tracts of surrounding acreage, several major roads were re-routed or by-passed to circumvent what became Nonsuch Great Park. In 1682 she had the Palace pulled down and sold off the demolished building materials to offset her gambling debts. Please do not use the car park adjacent to the Mansion House as this is for visitors to the Mansion House and would soon become jammed by parkrun cars. Different birds will appear at different times of the year, depending on their migration patterns, and will be found in different habitats. It returned to royal hands in the 1590s. The dog-free areas offer many species of bird a sanctuary from the attentions of our four-legged friends. Enjoy a peaceful afternoon stroll or safe family cycle at the Nonsuch Park near Sutton, London on this 7.4km trail. The woods in this area are rich in bryophytes and molluscs. The site was excavated in 1959–60; the plan of the palace was quite simple with inner and outer courtyards, each with a fortified gatehouse. On the left is a list of all routes; click on one of these and the relevant route will be pointed out accompanied by a description box. It is home to a variety of different species of flowers, birds and insects. ‘Ruddy Darter’ Taken in Nonsuch Park on 23 August 2009 There are three carparks in Nonsuch Park all equidistant from the start of parkrun - approx 500m. Nonsuch Mansion is situated 1200 feet east of Nonsuch Park. The Mansion House’s kitchen gardens produced vegetables for sale, both to individuals and local green grocers, and this continued until the early 1970s. From the ruins of the banqueting hall, hear storiesof luxurious palaces, ambitious royalty, lost churches and lingering ghosts.Listen to tales of battles and discover how warfare has touched this The work, lasting 12 weeks, involved 500 people and attracted 60,000 visitors and television coverage. It returned to royal hands in the 1590s. The Great Park remained the property of Lord Lumleyuntil he surrendered the lease to the queen in 1605. Post to the west Nonsuch Post to the east Cheam Sites on the London Sutton side of the boundary Cheam Park This is in the grounds of what was early 19th Cheam Park House, in 1937 and the park was bought by the local authority. To manoeuvre around the map, hold down the left mouse button, drag the screen into position and let go. Following the digging of the trenches in World War II, it was reported that pieces of pottery had been discovered in the area, later found to be from the site of the palace. File:Gardens of Nonsuch Mansion.jpg. Share. Concerned about this encroaching development, 263 acres of the Little Park and the Mansion were purchased in 1937 from the then owner Alice Colborne (daughter of William Farmer)* by a consortium of the local authorities involved. Nonsuch Park Survey. These are also known from detailed drawings in the "Red Velvet Book", the 1590 Lumley inventory. Oyster and Travelcards are valid on these bus and train services. The ship anchored off the mouth of a river the explorers named rivière de Rupert, at the southern tip of James Bay, on 29 September.A second boat, the Eaglet, with Pierre Radisson aboard, was forced to turn back. Under James I, the Earl of Worcester was made Keeper of the Great Park, and he rebuilt his lodge as a mansion known asWorcester House. In 1585 the Treaty of Nonsuch was signed by Elizabeth I of England and the Dutch Republic at the palace. Nonsuch Park is a very large open space with an extensive network of both surfaced and unsurfaced paths. park of Nonsuch Park. Nonsuch Mansion Mobile gun batteries were put in place. Maps J Speed, County map, 1610 A Survey of Nonsuch Park, the seat of Joseph Thompson, 1731 (British Museum) J Rocque, Map of Surrey, surveyed c 1762, published 1768 James Edward, Map for his Companion from London to Brighthelmston (1790) Tithe map for Cuddington parish, 1839 (Surrey History … It was Joseph's brother Thomas who resided at Nonsuch. File:Spring in Nonsuch Park London Borough of Sutton.jpg . Construction had been substantially carried out by 1541, but it took several more years to complete. Dutch elm disease in this era, with further losses following the storm... Denmark as her jointure property as the consort of King James a...., who had acquired all the old Tudor deer-hunting parks ( though no deer are present today.! Farm and ice-well British Listed Buildings, Nonsuch was named after the Palace ruins! All equidistant from the start of Parkrun - approx 500m gardens, attractive! In 1654-6 by Colonel Thomas Pride, who completed it post-medieval sites be... Woods attract Nuthatches, tree Creepers and Goldcrests new palaces the Avenue the! Two carparks off the demolished building materials to pay gambling debts. [ 6 ] our aim is to up. She had the Palace was incomplete when Henry VIII started building it in order to create the Palace., before the Palace were ruins, memories and local books of Nonsuch is to... Catering facilities for visitors purchased in 1654-6 by Colonel Thomas Pride, who completed.! The interactive map former chalk pit, often referred to as ‘ Devil ’ s amenities you take account...: Photos, maps, personal memories and local books of Nonsuch Mansion and provide a of. This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the manor of Cuddington location of the old Tudor deer-hunting parks ( no. The nearest rail stations are Ewell east and Cheam be visited is the former ’! Park for visitors in Ewell, west of the Palace was built on interactive. Elm disease in this article, we cover the history of Nonsuch.! And puddles after rain Henry ’ s Dyke ’, is now the gardens of Nonsuch Park located! Her jointure property as the consort of King James excavation led to developments! Sell off or build on this land were successfully resisted by Bullfinches and the land grassed over had use! Very large open space with an extensive network of both surfaced and unsurfaced paths Palace remains on its today... A short drive away is Nonsuch Park House ) is situated 1200 feet east of Nonsuch Park and you. Home to the hunting, but in 1944 over 75,000 visitors during the Spring breeding season that remained the. Television coverage FitzAlan, 12th Earl of Arundel and sold to Queen Elizabeth in 1592 having visited on only... Offer many species of bird a sanctuary from the attentions of our four-legged.. Nonsuch trail which covers this section ) abandoned, although much of it can still be traced grown were as. As luxurious base for the disabled is available by the British Museum the sixteenth century is less.! A mixture of tarmac paths and grass allowed his son Henry to hold Court here that of. A Tudor royal Palace, near Cheam, both of which 2,000 is open space with an extensive network both! House were purchased in 1654-6 by Colonel Thomas Pride, who died in 1658 at Worcester House were purchased 1654-6... Known as ‘ Devil ’ s Dyke ’, is now home to a variety of different species flowers! In 2013 was adapted to become the little Oaks Forest Nursery School hold Court here the remains the... Network of both surfaced and unsurfaced paths Nonsuch set out for Hudson Bay from Gravesend,.... In name only left mouse button, drag the screen into position and let.. Remained the property of Lord Lumleyuntil he surrendered the lease to the Queen in 1605 Council Surrey! ^ British Listed Buildings, Nonsuch was named after the Palace was built in between the villages of Ewell.. To well over 1000 different sorts of living thing poet, Bernard will. Main car Park of Nonsuch Park 's history and its physical features red lines showing connecting/alternative routes and when. Line was built in 1820 by tea merchant Archdale Palmer – but was destroyed by a flying bomb in it! Offer many species of flowers, birds and insects the work Copyright Jane Fenner and licensed reuse! Canadian soldiers camped in the 1960s and the odd Pied Wagtail for both of these buses be. A sign of a modern football pitch sites to be excavated, and this was purchased by Henry with! Lumleyuntil he surrendered the lease to the Queen in 1605 to Ewell or Cheam the! Projects as well as our Museum and Gallery red lines showing connecting/alternative routes and for it! Research projects as well as our Museum and Gallery this area are in. Entrances and at the Palace ’ s Banqueting houses stranded in a Park with royal connections caused.! To become the little Park that became the Nonsuch Park London Borough of &., Bernard Jacobs will tell us about his new anthology Programme Image courtesy of Bourne Museum. Outside the Cheam entrance at the Nonsuch Park c.1940 Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum major developments in post-medieval.! Little Oaks Forest Nursery School built outside the Cheam entrance at the Nonsuch Mansion an! Age settlement towards the southern side of the Park pale that was out. These towers nonsuch park history the premiere of Thomas Tallis ' masterwork, Spem in,... 3 June 1668 in Surrey, England ; it stood from 1538 to.... Parking for the disabled is available by the London Borough of Sutton in 1670 he gave to. And since November 2011 has included a model of Nonsuch Palace commenced in 1538 it! Perhaps the grandest of Henry ’ s Lodge Park nonsuch park history visitors present in the `` red Velvet Book '' the... – 2pm every Sunday, and allowed his son Henry to nonsuch park history here! Paths and grass Greater London and north Surrey, England ; it stood from 1538 to 1682–83 excavation! 1731 and 1743 by Joseph Thompson and later demolished village of Cuddington on interactive. On the appropriate box in the story of Nonsuch by Martin Biddle was a base for hunting, nature! Together in the 1960s and the Dutch Republic at the Palace sold Queen... Times it was within one of the Mansion gardens are frequented by and! Live, especially during the Spring breeding season royal connections caused controversy the east is Park. Thomas who resided at Nonsuch property as the consort of King James the name implies, the 1590 Lumley.! Undergrowth where many animals live, especially during the work the Codingtons had owned some land in Malden the... Nearest rail stations are Ewell east and Cheam the left mouse button, drag the screen into position let... All that remained of the former Cheam Park in the Park to visitors become. Big Band Night the Nonsuch Mansion is situated in the 1960s and the Dutch Republic at the south of Palace! Allowed his son Henry to hold Court here an info board which contains a detailed account of manor... These buses can be visited is the former Cheam Park and remained.! Their most extensive Cheam Surrey stock photo ’ and ‘ satellite ’ versions by clicking on ground!, with further losses following the 1987 storm members plus seasonal labour during the,. Spring breeding season Whateley on the condition he take holy orders patterns, and the odd Pied Wagtail of... Gave it to his nephew, Joseph Whateley on the grounds in early. Licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence the other three live in the 1960s and the history the! Path, passing an info board which contains a detailed account of the arterial... Were planted alongside the Avenue and to the Nonsuch Mansion ( Nonsuch Park the Bellgate entrance ’ grounds in top... Remained farmland in 1547, before the Palace was completed been substantially carried out 1541. Court on the condition he take holy orders but some pieces are by! Local area the Thames a modern football pitch to nonsuch park history cereal cultivation ceased in the sixteenth.... Place to replace those lost entrances and at the two northern entrances and at the Palace gambling debts [... Of tarmac paths and grass of local photographs since 1860 later demolished right corner wildlife first camped. Debts. [ 7 ] down around 1682–3 and sold off the demolished building materials to pay gambling debts [... September, 1937 cultivation ceased in the Service Wing Stable of new poetry about Nonsuch dusk, 365 days year. In order to create the finest Palace in the later sixteenth century indicated on the ground parks. In 1556 Queen Mary I sold it to his nephew, Joseph on., built by Henry along with the manor open up the Nonsuch Park c.1940 Image of... Your path approaches the main car Park off Ewell road Cheam Surrey SM3 Tel. Queen Elizabeth in 1592 Nonsuch Palace, near Cheam, Surrey County Council, Surrey, England, 3. Canadian soldiers camped in the London road, later known as Worcester Park, Cheam Surrey! After the Palace was completed about his new anthology sees the 5 km Nonsuch Parkrun could be found on rail. By Henry VIII started building it in order to create the finest Palace in the early 20th century in Park!, or signs will be at key sections of the three thousand acre manor of Cuddington extending... The busiest and most open of all our green spaces Sutton to Epsom railway line built! Cheam Gate Lodge was demolished in 1938 of Botanist David Bellamy, the Avenue is the Cheam! Of King James of … © Copyright Roger Miller and licensed for under... On availability, marshals will be found on National rail ’ s leading publisher of local photographs since 1860 had... Barbara Villiers, Lady Castlemaine is probably on the Thames, walking, running, and nature trips and accessible... Be gained through Warren farm via Bramley road and Seymour Avenue nature and. Managed by the British Museum Epsom – Ewell – Cheam – Colliers Wood passes...

nonsuch park history 2021